The main characteristic of azorean weather is its unpredictability: it can be sunny and hot, windy and strong showers – all in the same day!
WEATHER IN AZORES
The Azores have a maritime subtropical climate across all islands.
Despite this apparently unstable weather conditions, temperatures are quite moderate throughout the year. The average temperature is a comfortable 17ºC/63ºF. Still, the humidity can be considerably high (average of 70-80%) in Azores, so it can feel like a lot hotter!
Find out more about the weather in Azores:
AZORES WEATHER CHARTS
- The average monthly temperatures only vary 8.1 °C (14.6°F) which is a extremely low range.
- August is the warmest month (22ºC/71ºF on average) while
February is the coldest month (mean temperature of 13ºC/57ºF)
- Ponta Delgada, São Miguel island, has an average of 1026 mm (40.4 inches) of rainfall per year, or 85.5 mm (3.4 inches) per month
- On average it rains in 188 days of the year – days with more than 0.1 mm (0.004 in) of rainfall
- January is the wettest month (133mm) and July the driest (30mm)
- The sea in the archipelago is warmed by the Gulf Stream and it can reach temperatures of 24ºC/75ºF in the summer peak
- August and September are the months with warmest sea water, while January to April are the coolest
HOW IS THE WEATHER IN AZORES IN…
These are the coldest and wettest months of the year. Winters can be harsh in some islands, particularly Flores and Corvo, where wind and rain can potentially be quite severe.
- January is the wettest month of the year (average of 133mm of rain)
- February is the coldest month of the year (average of 13ºC/55ºF)
Extremely mild pleasant weather. Showers are common but often only last a few hours, before the sun shines again. June can already have some very warm days.
It’s summer time in Azores, so you can expect more hours of sunshine and very warm weather. The best time of the year to swim in the sea.
- July is the driest month of the year (only 30mm of rainfall)
- August is the hottest month of the year (average of 22ºC/72ºF) and also the month with most daily sunshine hours (9) of the year
Usually the time of the year where the weather is more unstable. Don’t be surprised if you get to experience warm sun, heavy rain and wind in only one day!
- December is the month with the least amount of sunshine hours (5) of the year
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Taking into account all the statistics above, it is clear you can’t expect much from winter months. Foggy, rainy and even stormy days are frequent in Azores, all things you don’t want to happen while outdoors.
Unless you are on an extremely tight budget or have specific plans in mind, you might want to go somewhere between April and October. But ultimately it all depends on what you are really interested in doing in the islands. Here’s a more complete page to help you decide.
BOOK YOUR HOLIDAYS IN THE AZORES RIGHT NOW
MORE AZORES TRAVEL INFORMATION:
My articles about the Azores
- 7 Unique Experiences and Things To Do in Pico Island, Azores
- The Most Complete Travel Guide to Pico Island, Azores
- Climbing Mount Pico: All You Need To Know For an Epic Hike
- The Ultimate Itinerary of São Miguel Island (Made By An Azorean)
- 14 Important Things To Know Before Traveling To Azores
- What & Where To Eat In São Miguel, Azores
- Azores Travel Blog: São Miguel Guide
- Why Are The Azores The Next Big Travel Destination
- What To Do In São Miguel Island, Azores